Diet or not, some mornings were made specifically for Big Mugs of Hot chocolate. When the wind is blowing against the walls of my house, and the snow drifts across the roads where the fields are, I already know it’s going to be one of these mornings.
Oddly enough, this new outlook on life and my cravings, makes me shut the lid on my Large Hot Chocolate from Dunkin’ Donuts and crave the feeling of a mug of nice green tea. This girl no longer runs on Dunkin’.
Work’s been stressful. So enough of that.
I made a healthy Macaroni and Cheese the other night, and while I was really worried about some of the substitutions I’d made – I was extremely happy with the result.
Macaroni and Cheese
– 2 tablespoons cornstarch (Or flour if you’re more comfortable with that)
– 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (optional)
– 1/4 teaspoon pepper
– 2 1/2 cups Almond Milk
– 2 tablespoons Low Sodium Smart Balance / Butter
– 2 cups Extra Sharp Cheddar
– 8 oz. Brown Rice Pasta (Gluten Free!) Elbows
1. In medium saucepan combine corn starch, salt, dry
mustard and pepper; stir in Almond milk.
2. Add margarine.
3. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over
medium-high heat and boil 1 minute.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Add Smart Balance/ Butter
6. Stir in 1 3/4 cups cheese until melted.
7. Add Pasta (Cooked as directed)
8. Pour into greased 2-quart casserole.
9. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
10. Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven 25 minutes or
until lightly browned.
1. I would advise cooking the pasta Al Dente. It will be cooking in the oven as well and nobody likes mushy Mac and Cheese.
2. My oven bakes very slow so this took me about 35-40 Minutes
3. I used Hobson Mill’s Pasta which said to cook 4-5 minutes, this in fact took me around 8-9 minutes at a rolling boil.
I did make a Clean Corn Chowder as well but I’ll include that recipe later on – it turned out okay – not the best I’ve done, but I had to improvise on the ingredients.
With that, I’m off to make some tea, get cozy in bed and watch Copper. I am shamelessly in love with the BBC.
I think I will end with a quote I found online yesterday and loved.