For the past few days I’ve been enjoying a lazy visit with my Dad in North Carolina, Raleigh area. This however will be saved for another post, as it deserves more of a focus than I can give right now. I can say though, working overnights has a great potential for ruining vacations for you, I tend to pass out around 7 and wake up at 1 in the morning, when my boyfriend and dad are already asleep, and then I spend the next 5 hours or so puttering around the house, doing quiet chores that my dad might not think to do – dust, clean the shower, run the dishwasher and self clean the oven. But more on all that later!
Before my vacation I wanted a little bit of a change for my lunches – no turkey muffins or burgers, I wanted to focus on salads since Blueberries and Strawberries are local and in season, and see about having a soup or chili. So, quite fittingly I went to LiveFit recipes and found Jamie Eason’s 3-Bean Turkey Chili – this is protein and fiber packed and Sooooo sosososososo delicious.
The only thing you might not have in your normal clean pantry is the brown sugar blend of Ideal which, I have yet to get, so I used a very very small amount of regular brown sugar. I was able to find organic versions of all the canned vegetables in the recipe between shopping at Wegmans and Wal-mart. Pro-tip: Walmart is starting to go Organic and Green, mine started carrying Organic Bananas recently, but their canned goods are pretty numerous now too. Muir Glen tomato products also come with No Salt Added which is perfect for me. The only thing I didn’t find organic versions of these at Walmart was the Chilies and the TriBean Blend which I couldn’t exactly find at Wegmans either. I found Chili beans and that had 3 different types of beans in it so I assume it’s just as good. This for me made about 10 cups, or 10 servings, but I added Tomato Sauce because I accidentally bought that instead of diced tomatoes and ended up adding a can of Non-organic No Salt Added diced tomatoes that I had on hand anyway. From the comments I read it normally cooks down to around 8-9 cups.
No pictures from me for this, I might have one to add later when I get home, but my phone broke last week and I haven’t been home to resync the new one to my computer. Here’s the picture from the LiveFit site though, for your yummy, mouth watering viewing pleasure.
3-Bean Turkey Chili
2lbs Extra Lean Ground Turkey
1/2 Cup chopped Onions
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2 4oz cans Organic Green Chilies
1 15oz can Organic Tri-bean Blend (drained)
1 15oz can Organic Black Beans (drained)
2 15oz cans Organic Diced Tomatoes (Do not drain) – try and get No Salt Added
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
2 Tbsp White Vinegar
3 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
1 Tbsp Ideal Brown Sugar substitute
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Salt
1. In a large pot add onions and meat, sprinkle with garlic powder and cook until the meat is no longer pink – make sure to break up the meat so it’s in little chunks and crumbles.
2. Add green chilies, beans, tomatoes, brown sugar, and spices. Stir until well combined.
3. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. If desired add cilantro before serving.
- I have a very low tolerance for spicy food – which I guess could work in my favor as it makes me drink a TON of water when I eat it. But I only added one can of Chilies and found the heat to be easily tolerable so if you’re sensitive try first with the one can, and maybe next time add 2!
- Jamie has the optional addition of a Tablespoon of Adobo Sauce but I never use it so I didn’t have it on hand and didn’t want to buy it when I’ll almost never use it. So I opted not to use any and was perfectly happy without. But if you have it you should try it – and let me know how it is!